[OT] Web font sizing (was: dmd 1.061 and 2.046 release)

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 19:54:51 PDT 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:hspj3m$1c9b$1 at digitalmars.com...
<snip>
>> Web sites should avoid setting specific font sizes, so low vision
>> users can enlarge it.
>
> I agree a lot with most of this, but any web browser that doesn't
> scale so-called fixed-size fonts when zooming has a broken, archaic
> zoom function, period.
<snip>

Correct.  Indeed, here's a post I once made here
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2384051749
----------
"6. For partially sighted persons, there is no way to adjust text size.
You say "wow, they are demanding", this is something really easy to do."

Yes there is a way. Just stop using Internet Exploiter and get yourself
a real web browser. But still....
----------

But you could well ask: Is it right to punish people for using broken
browsers?  Especially if you're going out of your way to do so by
specifying font sizes in pt or px.  I've always told people it just
shouldn't be done.

Moreover, some have sensibly pointed out that web authors shouldn't
change the body text size from the default, since the user's default is
the size the user is comfortable with.

But maybe it's acceptable if all you're doing is compensating for the
font you've chosen looking a little bigger or smaller at the same point
size than the default Times New Roman.  That said:
- somebody might have set a different font as default in browser
settings or a user stylesheet
- who decreed that the factory default in all graphical browsers shall
be Times New Roman, anyway?

Stewart.