totally OT: Re: TDPL in Russian

Pavel Vozenilek pavel_vozenilek at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 12 08:50:52 PST 2010

"Nick Sabalausky" wrote

> There's also a couple things I don't have the slightest idea how to spell
> (so I'm just going to try to spell phonetically), and I'm not sure they're
> even Russian, but I know it's some sort of eastern-european language, I
> think Czech: "Yuck she mush" "Dovja". (My great-grandfather was Czech
> (IIRC) and taught my brother, sister and I that way back when he was still
> around.)

Answering here as no valid email is given.

The first means in Czech language "Jak se máš?" (How are you? or Howdy?),
pronounced e.g. here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQBsqWT90IU
and the second possibly  "Dobře" (Good or Well, as in 'Good, I'll do it').

/Pavel

And one little thing: the Czech Republic is part of the Central Europe.
Saying it belongs to the Eastern Europe is a reliable way to upset
the Czechs, for rather complex historical reasons.