totally OT: Re: TDPL in Russian

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Nov 12 14:00:28 PST 2010

"Pavel Vozenilek" <pavel_vozenilek at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ibjrca$158t$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Nick Sabalausky" wrote
>
>> There's also a couple things I don't have the slightest idea how to spell
>> (so I'm just going to try to spell phonetically), and I'm not sure
>> they're even Russian, but I know it's some sort of eastern-european
>> language, I think Czech: "Yuck she mush" "Dovja". (My great-grandfather
>> was Czech (IIRC) and taught my brother, sister and I that way back when
>> he was still around.)
>>

> Answering here as no valid email is given.
>
> The first means in Czech language "Jak se má¹?" (How are you? or Howdy?),
> pronounced e.g. here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQBsqWT90IU
> and the second possibly  "Dobøe" (Good or Well, as in 'Good, I'll do it').

Ahh, great to have correct spellings of those. And yea, "How are you?"
"Good" is what I remember being tought.

> And one little thing: the Czech Republic is part of the Central Europe.
> Saying it belongs to the Eastern Europe is a reliable way to upset
> the Czechs, for rather complex historical reasons.

Good to know. I'm a total ignorant american when it comes to those things.
Heck, I always figured Germany was eastern-europe (although not politically,
I realize, just geographically). I guess not :)  Umm, actually, I didn't
even realize there was something considered "Central Europe", even though
now that you mention it, I know I've heard that term before. Heh, yea, I
guess I *really* need to read up on Europe a bit better :)

Any idea about what Slovakia counts as? AIUI, waaay back when my
great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents were still over there, it
was all still "Czechoslovakia". I have no idea which part of it they lived
in.