[OT] DVCS

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Sat Nov 13 03:24:58 PST 2010

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> Well, yes, it is every-times with regards to having to add the extra
> commit option. But it is just 3 extra characters, and I'm guessing it is
> quite easy to remember every time (maybe a little bit less if you use
> different VCS often, yeah).
> I'm not saying git would not be better designed if " -a" was the
> default, just that it's a very unimportant in terms of comparing VCS's.
> (It matters even less to my usage of VCS, since almost always I use
> Eclipse's graphical interface, which has a common behavior for the basic
> operations in all popular VCS. :) )

	Like I said, it is a pretty minor issue in and of itself. Its
importance is as a symptom of how poorly designed the interface is
in general. My main objections to Git are in order of importance:

1. Data corruption on Windows. That one is the killer issue;

2. Poor interface by design! The "-a" option is in this category,
but it is not the only issue there by far. Most of those issues
taken individually would be pretty minor, but added together they
make Git very uncomfortable to work with;

3. Git is not a VCS so much as a PMS (Patch Management System). The
difference is in the way each views history: for a VCS, history is
important in and of itself, whereas for a PMS like Git history is
just something you keep to help you merge branches. Git's much
touted history rewriting abilities are more a liability than an
asset for a VCS. In a roundabout way, this is why most Git users
view the "-a" issue as negligible: if you forget part of a commit,
just commit the missing changes and collapse the two changesets
(which is easy since we don't care about history anyway).

	Points 1 and 2 are real issues. That is, they are intrinsically
negative points. Point 3 is more a difference between Git and
everything else, so it will be negative or neutral (*) depending on
what exactly you expect from a SCM.

		Jerome

(*) I wrote "neutral" instead of "positive", because IMO Mercurial
offers similar abilities as a PMS if that is all you want.

mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr