[OT] DVCS

klickverbot see at klickverbot.at
Wed Nov 17 14:45:12 PST 2010

On 11/17/10 10:27 PM, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
> […]It might be possible to change the configuration so
> that this won't happen, but the simple fact that this happens with
> the *default* config does not fill me with confidence regarding data
> integrity and Git...

This is not exactly true, at least not for the Git on Windows installer,
which presents you with the three possible choices for handling line
endings.

Also, I am not quite sure if this deserves the label »data corruption«,
because even if you have auto-conversion of line endings turned on and
Git fails to auto-detect a file as binary, no history data is corrupted
and you can fix the problem by just switching off auto-conversion
(either globally or just for the file in question via gitattributes) –
in contrast to actual history/database corruption.