[OT] DVCS

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Thu Nov 18 04:21:34 PST 2010

On 17/11/2010 21:27, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> But what exactly is that data corruption issue on Windows?
>>
> 	In some cases (I didn't try to isolate the precise conditions), Git
> will replace '\n' with '\r\n' in binary files. This is with the
> default config. It might be possible to change the configuration so
> that this won't happen, but the simple fact that this happens with
> the *default* config does not fill me with confidence regarding data
> integrity and Git...
>
> 		Jerome

Hum, my impression is that Git is actually pretty mindful about data
integrity, not just on history, but on commits as well. However, it also
seems like Git was designed with Linux in mind, so Git on Windows is
kinda like a second-class platform (for example, performance is
apparently lower on Windows). But hopefully that will improve on the future.

The comments above made tip my preference slightly over to Mercurial.
But I think ultimately the decision of whether I would use Mercurial or
Git would be decided more by external factors, like the quality of
IDE-integrated tools (read: Eclipse plugins), and the availability or
preference of those DVCS in hosting-sites/organizations. For example
Google Code only supports Mercurial. On the other hand the Eclipse
Foundation is moving their repositories to Git. (if it wasn't for that
I'd likely have gone with Mercurial and not looked back on Git)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer