[OT] DVCS

klickverbot see at klickverbot.at
Thu Nov 18 12:53:19 PST 2010

On 11/18/10 8:18 PM, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
> 	It deserves the label "data corruption" since Git did the
> conversion when committing the file, which means that the version
> stored in the history was corrupted.

Okay, so you I guess you were pretty unlucky since after you turned the
feature on, Git promptly misdetected one of your files, and you didn't
notice that when you committed your changes – if you had looked at the
diff for whatever reason, you would have probably noticed that something
is wrong (I have this habit of briefly looking what I am checking in,
but that's probably from my SVN-based OSS work).

I don't really know if there is anything that can be done about this
though – in fact Git developers are asked to turn the feature on by
default for usability reasons quite regularly, if I remember correctly.
What certainly could be done is improving the auto detection algorithms,
but that would be an issue for the Git ML/bug tracker.

In any case, you might be interested in the fact that Mercurial seems to
have real issues with data corruption on Windows, see for example the
following reports:

http://serverfault.com/questions/91681/mercurial-repository-corruption
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2563178/corrupt-mercurial-repository-cannot-update