Phobos unit testing uncovers a CPU bug

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Nov 29 12:47:51 PST 2010

On Monday, November 29, 2010 12:36:00 bearophile wrote:
> so:
> > I have an unrelated question, this is not a criticism but an honest one.
> >
> > Why don't you write these 3 lines like:
> > >     auto r = to!real  ("0x1.0076fc5cc7933866p+40L");
> > >     auto d = to!double("0x1.0076fc5cc7933866p+40L");
> > >     auto f = to!float ("0x1.0076fc5cc7933866p+40L");
>
> I have a certain stylistic rule regarding how function calls are written in
> my code, and that rule is more important than such alignment. Adding
> spaces where I don't expect them to be slows down my visual parsing of the
> code. Generally in my code I've found that such kind of alignment is a
> waste of my time, if I change something I may need to waste time
> realigning things.

LOL. I couldn't figure out what was different about those lines (the extra space
apparently; the fact that the text isn't monospaced makes it harder to see
though). But no one's over going to get people to agree on spacing any more than
they'll get them to agree on braces. Personally, I generally don't have
extraneous spaces but will periodically line up variable declarations with
regards to names (which would require no work here because they're all auto and
line up anyway). Other folks I know insist on always putting extra spaces after
keywords like if and/or putting extra spaces before or after parens. Trying to
convince anyone about spacing is a waste of time, and I'd say that suggesting
that spacing be altered in code is generally a waste of time unless there's
something abnormally bad about it (like 10 spaces after every paren or something
ridiculous like that).

- Jonathan M Davis