Phobos unit testing uncovers a CPU bug

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Tue Nov 30 11:43:54 PST 2010

Walter Bright Wrote:

> How do you decide how many bits should be enough for any algorithm?
>
> The thing is, the FPU has 53 bits of precision and so ought to be correct to the
> last bit.

It's not me, it's the programmer. He was disgusted that his algorithm produced garbage, which means, the error was unacceptable. Mat be it was 1%, may be 80%, I don't, that was his decision, that the result was unacceptable. The bug description assumes the problem was in the last bit, which means, he wanted precision higher than the machine precision.