New home page

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Oct 4 13:58:20 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-04 14:42:22 -0400, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> said:

> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> The layout breaks in anything but the default text zoom.
>
> The annoying thing about this is everyone says "don't use tables for
> layout, use CSS." Except that using CSS for layout DOESN'T WORK
> RELIABLY. With tables, I can get 3 columns that are actually 3 columns,
> not 3 columns that are a side effect of bugs in CSS.

Very true. CSS is great, except when you want columns, especially more
than 2 columns with where columns have a background that must end at
the same height.

That said, you could play with `display: table`. But the basic problem
with `display: table` (like many "advanced" things in CSS) is that it
won't work much with IE less than 8. Can you believe it took so long
for Microsoft to implement this important part of a specification from
2009 (CSS 2.1)? This is really the problem with the web: the dominant
browser stopped evolving during a long period and is only now beginning
to catch up. So now we're navigating in a sea of workarounds because
everyone needs columns and other things that need a hack to work in IE.

Let's hope it gets better in the coming years as older versions of IE
become obsolete.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com