New home page

Brian Hay bhay at construct3d.com
Mon Oct 4 15:14:47 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I find it surprising that anyone on this forum finds this format even
> remotely passable, never mind better than the old one (which didn't set
> the bar all that high).

With all due respect to Walter, as a professional web designer I have to
agree with Andrei. It's terrible for all the reasons mentioned ... and
more. "1995 programmer art" sums it up.

Sad as it may seem to some, the way D (and its parent company Digital
Mars) are presented and marketed is just as important, if not more so,
to many potential users of D as the quality of the language itself. If
their first impression of the company is amateurish then that can and
does reflect poorly on the language. Many people do judge a book by its
cover.

I'd suggest (at least in the interim) using the
http://d-programming-language.org/ look and feel.

Walter, I think you're on the right track with your desire to make the
home page more of a clean, minimalistic gateway to the different
sections of Digital Mars, but the design and execution need work.