New home page

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Oct 4 20:00:53 PDT 2010

 "Brian Hay" <bhay at construct3d.com> wrote in message
news:i8duv5$2nn6$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> 2. Explain in broadest terms _what_ you are trying to achieve at the
>> highest level (NOT "here's _how_ I want this to be, tweak it"). For
>> example, instead of saying "I want three equally sized columns because
>> nobody told me that that design is cr(ee|ap)py, and please color them
>> like pee in a swimming pool while you're at it", tell them "I have three
>> product lines, and I want them featured on the homepage in a simple and
>> straightforward manner".
>
> For non web designers, this article and YouTube video are well worth the 5
> minutes:
>
> http://boagworld.com/business-strategy/10-harsh-truths-about-corporate-websites

Three trivial knee-jerk reactions to that I can't keep my mouth shut about
(And that mint.com site Walter mentioned suffers from the same problems #1
and #2):

1. Are they sure they used enough different fonts? Couldn't they have
crammed a few hundred more in?

2. It's a Campbell's soup site, "Big-N-Chunky"! Feel like I'm reading a
poster through a peephole. Or using a GTK app.

Web artists often use giant 40+" monitors at five-trillion-by-ten-billion
resolution. Apparently some of them haven't noticed that nobody else does.

3. "In most organizations I work with the website is managed by either the
marketing or IT department. However, this inevitably leads to a turf war and
the site becoming the victim of internal politics."

Obviously this guy's never worked at a place that *did* have a separate web
department. If he thinks a separate web department is going to curb
site-related turf wars and politics, he's completely off his rocker. Doesn't
matter who handles the site, every other department is going to demand the
site be bent exclusively to their department's whim. And if the website
isn't *completely* separated from IT, then IT will make constant dumbass
decisions that will screw over the site programmers.

A lot of the other stuff he says is good though.