New home page

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Oct 5 21:49:28 PDT 2010

"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:i8gfqi$22lj$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 04/10/2010 19:42, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>>> The layout breaks in anything but the default text zoom.
>>
>> The annoying thing about this is everyone says "don't use tables for
>> layout, use CSS." Except that using CSS for layout DOESN'T WORK
>> RELIABLY. With tables, I can get 3 columns that are actually 3 columns,
>> not 3 columns that are a side effect of bugs in CSS.
>
> Indeed, here are just a few things I hate to bits about CSS:
>
> - no overflow: grow
> - overflow: grow isn't the default
> - width and height mean the width and height excluding the padding
>
> http://goingspare.wordpress.com/2007/04/06/css-padding-and-width/

Yea. The thing about width/height reminds me too, as much as IE gets
chastized for not following spec, there's a lot of times their approach is
just plain *better* than the hairbrained W3C spec. IE used to include border
as part of the width. That made a lot more sense. And then there's the W3C's
completely idiotic handling of JS mouse events. It's downright retarded.
IE's approach, while different, was at least *good*. You could actually tell
the mouse buttons apart! Gee, imagine that! But now they're forced into
compliace with the *worse* alternatives, and all the others who are doing it
flat-out wrong get to sit around and have their dumbass way. Not that MS
always makes better designs, but the web-dev community's IE bashing just
gets absurd sometimes. And FWIW, as a web dev, I've had just as much
rendering problems with FF as with IE. Heck, I've even had FF (both 2 and 3)
completely *lose* an entire flash applet just because of an obscure oddity
in it's CSS width/height handling - but IE and Iron handled it perfectly
fine.

Heck, even the trivial stuff is screwy in CSS: For everything that affects
letters and words, is there any *real* logic to what's "font-", what's
"text-" and what's neither? Trivial example, but just illustrates why the
web gets me so pissed: everything from bottom to top is just garbage and no
one seems to notice or care. And the few that do notice and care just throw
their hands up and say "Well, it won't catch on, so why bother?" I'm damn
glad Walter never decided "There's no way I can compete with MS's .NET or
Sun's Java, or the astronomical userbase of C/C++, so why bother to try?"