New home page

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Oct 5 22:36:24 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:i8gj1i$28h4$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> Indeed, here are just a few things I hate to bits about CSS:
>
> Sure, but we're kind of stuck with it. While we can invent a new
> programming language, I don't think that inventing a new browser markup
> language is going to get any traction without convincing Microsoft,
> Google, and Apple to all get on board.

Microsoft would never know it existed.

Goggle would steal it and re-invent a crappy version of it.

Apple would put a note in their developer-license-agreement prohibiting it.

Sun would release a whitepaper that attempted to explain why it wasn't
needed, but in their attempt they would accidentally make it clear it was a
good idea after all.

Oracle would create a not-terrible-but-not-great version of it and have
their salesmen spend a couple million each convincing middle and upper
managers to pay twenty million for it each. Most of them would fall for it.

Sony would form a committee to investigate the feasibility of introducing
DRM capabilities into it.

No one would ever notice if IBM did or didn't do anything with it.

Hobbyist developers would flock towards a newly-created alternate version
that seemed simpler at first glance, but was much slower and really just
made it easier to introduce subtle bugs.

W3C would form a committee to standardize it. Their early recommendations
would combine the worst aspects of all the various versions. The final draft
would be nearly identical to the early drafts, but wouldn't be finalized
until the original committee's grandchildren were in retirement facilities.

Adobe would create a mediocre, bloated, yet passable
child-window-fiesta-of-an-app to deal with it and charge hundreds for it. It
would be enormously popular.

The people formerly from JASC would create a great alternative to Adobe's
offering at a reasonable price, and after no one bought it they would kill
it off by selling the rights to the dying carcass of some formerly-relevant
corporation.

Corel...ah ha ha ha ha! Corel...That's a joke that doesn't need a punchline.

Hasbro Interactive would buy the rights to one of the older versions, and
sue any individuals and small businesses that had anything similar. Then
they would sell the rights.

Steve Yegge will have something to say about it, but no one will know or
care what it is because by the time they finish reading his post the
universe will have ended. But he'll still maintain that his long-winded
approach was "good marketing".