Vibrant 1.5

so so at so.do
Sat Oct 9 03:20:36 PDT 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:59:51 +0300, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> bearophile wrote:
>> ponce:
>>
>>> Vibrant has been open source'd (again):
>>> http://bitbucket.org/ponce/vibrant
>>  Very good. I have seen 2D vectors implemented something like ten times
>> in D code, so I think it's time to stop this. They need to go in the
>> standard library:
>> http://bitbucket.org/ponce/vibrant/src/tip/trunk/common2/math/vec2.d
>> http://bitbucket.org/ponce/vibrant/src/tip/trunk/common2/math/vec3.d
>> http://bitbucket.org/ponce/vibrant/src/tip/trunk/common2/math/vec4.d
>> http://bitbucket.org/ponce/vibrant/src/tip/trunk/common2/math/vectorop.d
>
> Definitely we need vectors in Phobos.

You know vectors are one of the hardest things to implement if you want
everything. In D2 it should possible to have it all!

My ideal vector design :

- one struct for all dimensions.
- swizzling
- after a limit (dimension) you have a choice to use either unwrapping or
plain for.
- avoid temporaries as much as possible.
- policy to use sse. etc...

Can't think of anything more now.

First 3 is very easy to implement, 4 wasn't possible on C++ because of
aliasing, didn't give much of a thought in D, 5 also shouldn't be that
hard.

alias vector!(3, float) vec3;
alias vector!(4, float) vec4;

There we solved everything! in theory :)