D 2.0 Stacktrace

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 12:31:30 PDT 2010

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 15:50:25 +0400, Benjamin Thaut
<code at benjamin-thaut.de> wrote:

> I wrote a small piece of sourcecode that generates stacktraces in D 2.0
> under
> windows. It works both with the pdb and cv debug symbol format. For
> Exceptions
> that are derived from the Error class the trace information is
> automatically
> appended, this causes all builtin D errors to get a stacktrace
> information.
> The only point where this does not work is the Access Vioaltion error,
> as it
> does not call the stacktrace callback function for some reason.
>
> It is very easy to use, just copy the two files from the zip archive to
> your
> root source directory and import the stacktrace module inside your main
> file.
> For more informaiton and the download go to:
> http://3d.benjamin-thaut.de
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> Kind Regards
> Benjamin Thaut

I noticed your stacktraces should symbols but no file name/line numbers.

I've sent another Stacktracer implementation to Phobos mailing list
recently that primarily shows file name/line number while manually parsing
.map file for symbolic info and shows none if .map file is absent. That
was being criticized, and I agree with it. It also doesn't depend on
dbghelp.dll and is able to show sane results even when the said .dll is
missing.

I think we could merge our projects, taking advantages from both. What do
you think?