New home page

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Oct 10 13:42:41 PDT 2010

"Stephan Soller" <stephan.soller at helionweb.de> wrote in message
news:i8sh5u$2ijp$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 07.10.2010 23:59, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Stephan Soller"<stephan.soller at helionweb.de>  wrote in message
>> news:i8kmuc$15t$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Thanks for the screenshots. May I ask which version of Firefox (if I see
>>> that correctly) your're using
>>
>> v2.0.0.20
>>
>> Which actually kinda surprises me because I could have sworn I was on a
>> much
>> later version of the 2.x line. I *know* there was a period where it kept
>> updating itself seemingly all the time (which got quite irritating when I
>> just wanted to go to a particular URL). But I guess that must have been
>> the
>> only 2.x version I was able to find after giving up on FF3. And IIRC, the
>> built-in update won't let me update to anything less than FF3.
>>
>> And yea, I know FF2 is really old, but I tried 3.0 and 3.5 and the JS was
>> only marginally faster, it doesn't seem to fix any of the rendering bugs
>> I've come across in FF2 (I have 3.5 on my Linux box, just for site
>> testing),
>> and every other change they made I hated and downloaded extentions to
>> undo...until I realized there was no extention to un-unify the unified
>> forward/back buttons (which I had thought was a good idea when IE7 came
>> out -- until I actually used IE7), and realized the only winestripe-like
>> things for FF3 weren't nearly as good as the real winestripe. So I
>> figured
>> "Why bog it down with even *more* addons just to turn it into a
>> half-baked
>> FF2, when I can just use the real FF2?" YouTube bitches to me about it,
>> but
>> well, fuck YouTube; never liked having over-compressed videos
>> pre-embedded
>> into a web-based player anyway.
>>

> Maybe you should consider looking into some other browsers? Opera, Chrome
> and other Gecko based browsers might give you a better experience that the
> newer Firefox versions. This is the reason why there are different
> browsers after all.

- Safari is ruled out because it's a blurry mess (all for the sake of making
it look more like the printed version? WTF?) and forces useless background
processes, has zero respect for my system's look-and-feel, and has no
"Adblock Plus", "NoScript", or "BetterPrivacy" (Three FF add-ons that
provide functionality that, for me, are absolutely 100% essential).

- IE7+ is out because it has no "Adblock Plus", "NoScript", or
"BetterPrivacy", and I don't like the unified forward/back buttons.

- Iron is out because I *hate* absolutely everything about it's UI, and it
doesn't have "NoScript" (I've heard it has "AdBlock Plus", but I didn't see
it when I first looked so I don't know). Also, configurability seems to be
practically non-existent compared to FF.

- Chrome is out because of all the reasons for which Iron was created in the
first place. I won't even allow Chrome (or Safari) on my computer at all.

- Opera is ruled out because it costs money and every time I tried the demos
it seemed to combine the worst aspects of all the other browsers, plus had
by far the most rendering problems.

- And everything else like IE6-, Netscape, WebTV, Lynx, etc are all ruled
out for obvious reasons.