New home page

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Oct 10 22:27:59 PDT 2010

"Lutger" <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:i8ta2d$1lnd$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> "Stephan Soller" <stephan.soller at helionweb.de> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Maybe you should consider looking into some other browsers? Opera,
>>> Chrome
>>> and other Gecko based browsers might give you a better experience that
>>> the
>>> newer Firefox versions. This is the reason why there are different
>>> browsers after all.
>>>

>> - Safari is ruled out because it's a blurry mess (all for the sake of
>> making
>> it look more like the printed version? WTF?) and forces useless
>> background
>> processes, has zero respect for my system's look-and-feel, and has no
>> "Adblock Plus", "NoScript", or "BetterPrivacy" (Three FF add-ons that
>> provide functionality that, for me, are absolutely 100% essential).
>>
>> - IE7+ is out because it has no "Adblock Plus", "NoScript", or
>> "BetterPrivacy", and I don't like the unified forward/back buttons.
>>
>> - Iron is out because I *hate* absolutely everything about it's UI, and
>> it
>> doesn't have "NoScript" (I've heard it has "AdBlock Plus", but I didn't
>> see
>> it when I first looked so I don't know). Also, configurability seems to
>> be
>> practically non-existent compared to FF.
>>
>> - Chrome is out because of all the reasons for which Iron was created in
>> the
>> first place. I won't even allow Chrome (or Safari) on my computer at all.
>>
>> - Opera is ruled out because it costs money and every time I tried the
>> demos
>> it seemed to combine the worst aspects of all the other browsers, plus
>> had
>> by far the most rendering problems.
>>
>> - And everything else like IE6-, Netscape, WebTV, Lynx, etc are all ruled
>> out for obvious reasons.
>
> Perhaps try firefox 4 (beta)? It is much faster, probably on par with
> chrome
> now, and it looks a bit cleaner designed.

I'll probably try it at some point, but I seriously doubt it won't be the
same story as FF3. It's Mozilla's basic nature to refuse to allow users to
disable any of Mozilla's beloved *cough* "improvements", and to merely scoff
whenever people don't like it. They're never shown any interest in making
anything about the AwfulBar optional. Same with the unified forward/back
buttons, or every ugly-ass theme FF has insisted on using starting with FF2
(That's why I use Winestripe.) And like most developers, they've never shown
any respect for people with light-on-dark schemes. Etc, etc, etc, And
they're a bunch or arrogant douchebags to boot.  Mozilla just has their
heads ten miles up their asses and that's all there is to it, and I don't
believe for a second anything's ever going to change that.

Like I said, I'll probably try it at some point, but I *very* much doubt it
won't be the same story as FF3. And from the screenshots, it looks like
it'll end up absolutely horrid-looking on the Win Classic theme, just like
FF2 and FF3 and just like every Windows program these days that's designed
to assume the user is running that god-awful Aero theme (I think the only
reason people think Aero looks good is because it's not as bad as Luna, and
most people were too stupid to realize XP's Luna was optional.) Plus, it
looks like they're trying to ape IE7/8 and Chrome, and I think those are
some of the most butt-ugly and shitty-UI browsers ever made (*especially*
Chrome).