[OT] DVCS

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Wed Oct 27 07:25:35 PDT 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:07:52 +0300, Gour <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:

> Try https://code.launchpad.net/bzr

Ah, that's quite nice.

> Well, it's question of bitbucket's interface, nothing about git.

And I wasn't talking about Git by itself.
If you look at http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/ , GitHub is listed as one
of the major reasons.

> Otoh, when I have to choose DVCS, then I primarily look at its VCS
> features and not so much about features of the public hosting which is
> of secondary concern.
>
> However, considering that there are no darcs solutions for public
> hosting, I've decided to use Monotone (with indefero.net) instead.
>
> Still, github with it's non-beatable workflow is not enough to
> persuade me to use Git 'cause I'll work more with the DVCS than with
> it's hosting UI.

While I agree that it doesn't really matter what anyone uses for personal
projects, I wouldn't choose anything non-mainstream for an open-source
project where community involvement is important. For example, I think
that moving DMD/Phobos/DRuntime from SVN to Bazaar/Monotone/DARCS would be
a very bad idea (and I think that GitHub's featureset would fit D's
community perfectly).

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net