[OT] DVCS

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Thu Oct 28 00:48:26 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 12:56 +0300, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
[ . . . ]
> It's not really about Git, it's about GitHub:

Actually, it is about your use model of GitHub.

> 1. Repo creation is instant, doesn't need to go through a human approval
> process, etc. (big turn-off from DSource, SourceForge as I create and work
> on many small projects)

Any FOSS project allows this, you just want to use a hosting site.
Launchpad and BitBucket behave like GitHub in this respect -- I don't
know about Gitorious but I suspect it is the same.

> 2. One-click forking - self-explanatory, you get a cheap clone of a
> project in your own namespace, to which you can push to to instantly
> publish your changes.

And the difference with others -- except the one-click being replaced by
a command line?

> 3. Pull requests - pretty self-explanatory, but integrated with the issue
> system.

Personal workflow, the model is not special.

> 4. You've probably seen one of GitHub's "network chart"?
> ( e.g.: http://github.com/jquery/jquery/network )
> You can instantly see activity of all of the project's forks on GitHub.
> This allows easily finding nice forks to merge / cherry-pick. If you're
> lazy, you don't even need to send your patches upstream - as long as you
> don't change the license, the project maintainers can cherry-pick from
> your fork as long as you push them to your fork. Personally, I think this
> feature is revolutionary, and quite "hard to beat" compared to the
> oldschool approach of mailing lists etc. ;)
>
> GitHub has other nice things, such as line-level commit comments, as well
> as the usual things you'll find in many other open-source project hosters
> (issues, wiki, HTML project homepage).
>
> And finally, IMHO a pretty convincing argument is that GitHub is one of
> the most popular open-source hosting websites. Not having to register and
> familiarize yourself with a project hosting website lowers the
> contribution barrier even lower.

I quite like GitHub for when I use Git, but I like Launchpad for when I
use Bazaar, or BitBucket for Mercurial -- and of course I host things on
my own server, which means Bazaar or Mercurial or sometimes Git.  It
more about what the group of activists on a project choose to use, there
are no absolutes.

Git and GitHub are not special in any of the above points.  DVCS and
hosting is the underlying model and all the above mentioned have the
basic model.  Everything else is really just "little things".

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk