[OT] DVCS

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Thu Oct 28 00:54:31 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 17:25 +0300, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
[ . . . ]
> project where community involvement is important. For example, I think
> that moving DMD/Phobos/DRuntime from SVN to Bazaar/Monotone/DARCS would be
> a very bad idea (and I think that GitHub's featureset would fit D's
> community perfectly).

Moving to any of Bazaar, Mercurial or Git would be a huge step forward
for any FOSS project currently using Subversion.  Monotone and Darcs
would be a big risk because Bazaar, Mercurial and Git are the main
players.

Staying with Subversion acts as a barrier to development effort by
anyone other than the Subversion committers.  Even if the bzr-svn,
hgsubversion or git-svn plugins are used to bridge from a central
Subversion repository, the barriers are just too high to allow for ad
hoc contribution.  So if a project wishes to enforce the "us and them"
partitioning of the community then fine stay with Subversion.  If the
idea is to allow for a widening of the active contributor base then a
move to a DVCS is an enabling step.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk