[OT] DVCS

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Thu Oct 28 10:51:51 PDT 2010

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> On 27/10/2010 22:33, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
>>     Well, Mercurial offers much less opportunities to shoot oneself in
>> the foot and is much easier to use. This is especially true if you
>> come from another VCS like SVN: you can use the same commands for
>> the same results on the local repository and you only need to learn
>> a couple of commands for syncing. Git uses different commands for
>> everything (this is actually a stated design goal: try to make
>> things as different from CVS as possible!)
>>
>>     The only true advantage that Git has over Mercurial is the staging
>> area, and even that is a two edged sword: IMO it should not be
>> enabled by default since it helps people to lose data. And the same
>> functionality can be emulated (and superseded) in Mercurial with
>> record and mq anyway.
>
> But isn't the staging area similar, if not identical to SVN? I mean, in
> svn you also have to do a command "svn add" to add new files to the
> "sandbox". They won't get commit otherwise, right?
>
> (note: im somewhat familiar with SVN and Git, but not with Mercurial)

	No, because in Git if you make changes to an existing file, you
need to "add" that file again. In both SVN or Mercurial, you need to
"add" new files, but once a file is in the repository, any changes
to the file get committed by default (although there are ways to
commit only some files in both Mercurial and SVN and ways to commit
only some changes in Mercurial).

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr