Obama endorses D

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 4 14:38:07 PDT 2010

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound2 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> Obama: "You want to go forward, what do you do? You put it in D.
> http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/08/obamas-latest-joke-republicans.html

This one makes me laugh especially because there's actually an R programming
language that I occasionally have to use, and I generally hate it.  It's basically
a domain specific language for statistics and not well-known outside the
statistics community.

The biggest problem with it is poor documentation of basic things like builtin
data structures.  D's documentation looks great in comparison.  The other one is
that it's too high-level, domain specific and slow (even compared to other
interpreted languages) to be easy to think of as a "real" programming language.
At the same time it's too low-level and lacking in simple (i.e. GUI or single
command) ways to do simple things to be easy to think of as a plain old
application.  Basically, you have to program to use it, but when you try, if
you're used to "real" languages you feel like you're programming with 8 of your
fingers crushed.