the bit[] type

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Sep 22 15:32:31 PDT 2010

Emil Madsen:

> Okay I'm interresting in getting more infomation about the bit[] type;
> - is it still implemented in D1? - and why was it removed?
> - is it possible to get a link to the design considerations of removing it,
> and such?
> - any source of info, on the design phase about it, will be in my interrest

D.learn is a better place to ask such questions.
In D1 now the bit type exists just as an alias.
I think it was removed because you can't get the address of a bit. D1 Phobos has functions in std.intrinsic to manage bit arrays, and D2 Phobos has a module that implements a bit array and a way to build struct bit fields.

Bye,
bearophile