[OT] Re: Short forum post on REST API

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:35:26 PDT 2011

Am 03.04.2011 01:31, schrieb Adam D. Ruppe:
> Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> or did you like writing a different version  of
>> your websites for each browser?
>
> I've never found that to be actually necessary. Worst problems I
> ever had as a developer were actually Firefox 2... while IE6 and 7
> might have needed a few hacks, they could always do the job. Firefox
> 2 often left me hanging. I hated that piece of junk.
>
> Anyway, with IE6 (IE5 is before my time), the worst that I ever needed
> was a few isolated lines of javascript - which can be abstracted
> into reusable functions - and a few little bits of CSS, easily
> done with conditional comments.
>
> It's really very little work, more like 10% more than the 100% more
> implied by "different version [..] for each browser".

Yeah, it may not be 100% - however I've heard from other people and read on the
web that supporting IE6 was really time intensive - more than 10%.
But it's just what I heard/read, I haven't got much experience with web
development myself.

> Hell, I think I spend more time writing
>
> border-radius
> -moz-border-radius
> -webkit-border-radius
>
> and similar -browser- prefixes over and over again than I spent
> doing IE6 adjustments.
>

> That said, I am happy to see it mostly gone, even if it's
> replacements still suck in their own ways.
>
>> surprised that you and Nick seem to like these old versions of the IE.
>
> The real surprise is how much of HTML5 is just mimicing IE5's functions! It's a
> good decision, just an ironic one.

The functions may be great - as long as they're a standard and everybody
supports them.
But using functions that only work properly on a single browser sucks.