[Article Context, First Draft] Concurrency, Parallelism and D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Apr 9 21:04:45 PDT 2011

> Am 10.04.2011 04:27, schrieb dsimcha:

> >> Where could it ever be? After "parallelism".
> >>
> >> Andrei
> >
> > Actually, I specifically remember learning about this grammar rule in
> > middle school.  When listing stuff, the comma before the "and" is
> > optional.  Putting it and not putting it are both correct.
>
> Having both "and" and the comma seems redundant to me.
>
> But I'm German and we don't have a comma before and ("und") in lists* so
> maybe I'm just not used to it.
>
> Cheers,
> - Daniel
>
> * an Exception is when a subordinate clause ends before the "and", like
> in "I know programming languages like C, D, which kicks ass, and Java"

I'm sure that the wikipedia article goes into a fair bit of detail on it, but
there are cases where the lack of the comma leads to ambiguity. I believe that
the current recommendation is to always put the comma in, but it's bound to
depend on who you talk to - even among English teachers.

- Jonathan M Davis