[Article Context, First Draft] Concurrency, Parallelism and D

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sun Apr 10 17:25:02 PDT 2011

dsimcha wrote:
> On 4/10/2011 7:29 PM, Don wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>>> I see. I go by "Bugs in Writing" (awesome book)
>>
>> Ugh. I have a profound hatred for that book. Rule of thumb: if any style
>> guide warns agains split infinitives, burn it.
>>

> Another of my memories from my middle school education.  I specifically
> remember being told not to use split infinitives.  Then, a few weeks
> later we were watching the daily news video that was part of the middle
> school curriculum at the time and it was mentioned that the Oxford
> dictionary had voted to consider split infinitives proper grammar. (This
> was in either late 1998 or early 1999.)  All this happened with the
> teacher in the room watching.

Bill Bryson's 'Mother Tongue' contains an excellent diatribe against
that and other silly rules. He asks the question, who originally comes
up with these rules? And the answer is, hobbyists. It's quite incredible
where some of them originate.

Is there a split infinitive in the first sentence below?
"We must boldly go where none have gone before."
"We have to boldly go where none have gone before."