Orange 1.0.0 beta - serialization library

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Aug 20 13:28:33 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-20 19:45, dsimcha wrote:
> On 8/20/2011 12:50 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> Masahiro Nakagawa seems to be working on msgpack:
>> https://bitbucket.org/repeatedly/msgpack4d/
>
> Yeah, this does look quite useful. I tried it a few weeks ago and ran
> into a couple showstopper bugs. I filed them and he fixed them, but I
> never got around to trying it again.
>
> I actually think that since both are very commonly needed things and
> satisfy completely different niches, Orange and msgpack4d might both
> eventually have a rightful place in Phobos. Orange would be recommended
> when portability and serializing as many types as possible are
> important, and msgpack4d would be recommended when speed and space
> efficiency are the primary concerns.

If it's possible to extract a value given a key with messagepack I think
it would be possible to use messagepack as an archive for Orange. Since
messagepack supports maps every type Orange can serialize should be
possible serialize with messagepack, although probably not as efficient
as "regular" messagepack.

--
/Jacob Carlborg