gl3n - linear algebra and more for D

David d at dav1d.de
Sat Dec 3 14:36:59 PST 2011

Am 03.12.2011 22:32, schrieb Kiith-Sa:
> David wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently working on gl3n - https://bitbucket.org/dav1d/gl3n - gl3n
>> provides all the math you need to work with OpenGL, DirectX or just
>> vectors and matrices (it's mainly targeted at graphics - gl3n will never
>> be more then a pure math library). What it supports:
>>
>>    * vectors
>>    * matrices
>>    * quaternions
>>    * interpolation (lerp, slerp, hermite, catmull rom, nearest)
>>    * nearly all glsl functions (according to spec 4.1)
>>    * some more cool features, like templated types (vectors, matrices,
>>      quats), cool ctors, dynamic swizzling
>>
>> And the best is, it's MIT licensed ;). Unfortunatly there's no
>> documentation yet, but it shouldn't be hard to understand how to use it,
>> if you run anytime into troubles just take a look into the source, I did
>> add to every part of the lib unittests, so you can see how it works when
>> looking at the unittests, furthermore I am very often at #D on freenode.
>> But gl3n isn't finished! My current plans are to add more interpolation
>> functions and the rest of the glsl defined functions, but I am new to
>> graphics programming (about 4 months I am now into OpenGL), so tell me
>> what you're missing, the chances are good that I'll implement and add
>> it. So let me know what you think about it.
>>
>> Before I forget it, a bit of code to show you how to use gl3n:

>> vec4 v4 = vec4(1.0f, vec3(2.0f, 3.0f, 4.0f));
>> vec4 v4 = vec4(1.0f, vec4(1.0f, 2.0f, 3.0f, 4.0f).xyz)); // "dynamic"
>> swizzling with opDispatch
>> vec3 v3 = my_3dvec.rgb;
>> float[] foo = v4.xyzzzwzyyxw // not useful but possible!
>> glUniformMatrix4fv(location, 1, GL_TRUE, mat4.translation(-0.5f, -0.54f,
>> 0.42f).rotatex(PI).rotatez(PI/2).value_ptr); // yes they are row major!
>> mat3 inv_view = view.rotation;
>> mat3 inv_view = mat3(view);
>> mat4 m4 = mat4(vec4(1.0f, 2.0f, 3.0f, 4.0f), 5.0f, 6.0f, 7.0f, 8.0f,
>> vec4(...) ...);
>>
>> struct Camera {
>>       vec3 position = vec3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
>>       quat orientation = quat.identity;
>>
>>       Camera rotatex(real alpha) { orientation.rotatex(alpha); return this; }
>>       Camera rotatey(real alpha) { orientation.rotatey(alpha); return this; }
>>       Camera rotatez(real alpha) { orientation.rotatez(alpha); return this; }
>>
>>       Camera move(float x, float y, float z) {
>>           position += vec3(x, y, z);
>>           return this;
>>       }
>>       Camera move(vec3 s) {
>>           position += s;
>>           return this;
>>       }
>>
>>       @property camera() {
>>           //writefln("yaw: %s, pitch: %s, roll: %s",
>> degrees(orientation.yaw), degrees(orientation.pitch),
>> degrees(orientation.roll));
>>           return mat4.translation(position.x, position.y, position.z) *
>> orientation.to_matrix!(4,4);
>>       }
> [...]
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. SSE is planed, but it will be the last step,
optimization at the end. Well gl3n shouldn't be the bottleneck anyways,
because it's normally the GPU.
I've already thought about splitting linalg into 3 different files (also
it was suggested by some people), but I dont like how D(md) handles
imports, something like this would be cool:

import gl3n.linalg.matrix;
import gl3n.linalg.vector;
import gl3n.linalg.quaternion;
import gl3n.linalg; // this would import
gl3n.linalg.matrix/vector/quaternion publically

Like __init__.py in Python, unfortunatly this isn't supported (yet?).

It is also planed to add some useful stuff for graphics programming,
like as you mentioned spheres or AABB (axis aligned bounding boxes).
Well I dont want it to be GLSL conform (then it would be glm), because I
dont like all of the GLSL design choices and D is much more poweful!

I am glad you like it :)

  - dav1d