New homepage design of d-p-l.org is now live. <eom>

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 15:41:13 PST 2011

On 16/12/2011 15:09, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 16 December 2011 at 13:33:06 UTC, Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> But whatever I try to validate it as, there are errors.
>
> Does validation make any positive difference at all?

Yes:
- it's a useful step in diagnosing problems with a webpage
- it helps with cross-browser compatibility
- it helps syntax-highlighting and code-folding editors
- it enables code-manipulation tools to work correctly
- it's good for your public image

> I used to do it, but it prohibits things that are useful
> and work fine in practice* without offering much, if anything,
> in return.

What are these "things that are useful" to which you refer?

<snip>
> * An example being custom attributes. The html5 validator will
> allow some of them, but the other ones won't.

Are custom attributes distinguished from standard attributes in some way, in order to keep
attributes invented by different browser manufacturers from clashing with each other and
with attributes that become part of a later HTML standard?

Stewart.