New homepage design of d-p-l.org is now live. <eom>

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Dec 16 22:35:15 PST 2011

"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:jcgkhi$2ohd$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 16/12/2011 18:26, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> <snip>
>> For example, I have an articles section on my site that (currently) uses
>> TangoCMS. I neither know nor care what doctype TangoCMS is sending out
>> (and
>> I have even less interest in mucking with it's internals to change it),
>> and
>> yet when I want to bold or italicize something in a post, I've started
>> going
>> back to<b>  and<i>. Why?
>>
>> A. They're not as insanely verbose as<span style="font-weight: bold;
>> font-style: italic">
> <snip>
>
> But you shouldn't be using <span style="font-weight: bold; font-style:
> italic"> anyway. You should be looking at what the boldness or italicness
> _means_, and either using the appropriate semantic HTML element or (if one
> doesn't exist) defining a CSS class named after this semantic.
>
> This is also about making code self-documenting.

If it's actually part of some <span class="concept">ui element</span>, or
recurring concept</span>, etc, then yes, I would agree in that case, <span
class="person">Stewart</span>.

or <i>italicized</i>, then handling it in any roundabout way like that is
just <i>ridiculous</i> (and "self-documenting" would be completely
inapplicable).

In such a situation, replacing hardcoded bold or italic with some vague
concept of "emphasis" (old-school example: the <em> tag) or
"extra-emphasis", etc, is not only a useless abstraction merely for the sake
is able to look at the final result and know whether the result

Additionally, how does the stylist know if a given styling is going to cause
too much visual noise? Or be too visually monotone? They <i>can't</i>,
because it's <i>completely</i> dependent on the text that the
article and just right for another. Only the text's author can know what's
appropriate, not the stylesheet.