New homepage design of d-p-l.org is now live. <eom>

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 06:09:50 PST 2011

On Saturday, 17 December 2011 at 13:09:40 UTC, Stewart Gordon
wrote:
> What built-in support does HTML/JS/CSS have for dragging of
> elements?

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/dnd.html

It started as an IE5 feature, and is now being expanded
to everyone else. In the old IE, it only worked on some
text, links, and images, but the new standard says you
can set it on whatever you want. Still, if you want to
support them all, <a> is the way to do it.

> Moreover, dummy hrefs are an abomination.  Not just
> compatibility when JS is disabled - this link is also the one
> followed when you open a link in a new window/tab.  This
> regularly bites me.

Yea, I hate them too. In practice, I try to put them somewhere
useful, if I can. (In my app with the drag drop, the links lead
to the contact profile page; this is a mailing list/CRM app.)

> But I am made to wonder why.  What will happen when HTML6 comes
> out?

I guess the idea is there won't be a html6; instead they'll just
keep <s>breaking</s> evolving the current thing and expect
everyone to keep up.

> No, because in order to determine whether it's well-formed, one
> must know whether it's meant to be in SGML-based HTML, HTML5 or
> XHTML.

Meh, it works anyway. One reason is websites tend to be so poorly
written that if you tried to be strict, you'd just break most of
them!

Anyway, this said, if dpl.org wanted to validate, I don't think
it'd be a *bad* thing. (I'd say go with xhtml; I feel dirty
saying this, but I almost.... like..... xml for this kind of
thing.)

> So it's something that web authors can use to store custom data
> in an element for scripting purposes, but browsers aren't
> supposed to have any built-in handling of them?

Right. You aren't even supposed to use them with other third
party tools; the idea is that area is completely open for the
page author and his scripts to do with as he pleases.