New homepage design of d-p-l.org is now live. <eom>

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Dec 17 10:26:53 PST 2011

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:xjikejblvuxulhoqxbim at dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
> On Saturday, 17 December 2011 at 13:09:40 UTC, Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> But I am made to wonder why.  What will happen when HTML6 comes out?
>
> I guess the idea is there won't be a html6; instead they'll just
> keep <s>breaking</s> evolving the current thing and expect
> everyone to keep up.

And why not? That's what they've been doing all along. *cough* <object>
*cough* ;)

>> No, because in order to determine whether it's well-formed, one must know
>> whether it's meant to be in SGML-based HTML, HTML5 or XHTML.
>
> Meh, it works anyway. One reason is websites tend to be so poorly
> written that if you tried to be strict, you'd just break most of
> them!
>
> Anyway, this said, if dpl.org wanted to validate, I don't think
> it'd be a *bad* thing. (I'd say go with xhtml; I feel dirty
> saying this, but I almost.... like..... xml for this kind of
> thing.)

Yea, HTML looks, acts and feels like XML so it may as well actually *be*
XML. Plus, tranformations to/from HTML is one of the main reasons for XML
anyway. So they *should* be compatible.

('Course there's *technically* SGML too, but honestly, HTML is the only
reason anyone's ever cared about or even known about SGML. It may as well
not exist.)