New web newsreader - requesting participation

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 13:03:07 PST 2011

Am 03.02.2011 22:00, schrieb Lars T. Kyllingstad:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 17:16:58 +0000, Adam Ruppe wrote:
>
>> Eric Poggel wrote:
>>> I hate to mention this in light of Adam's work, but Reddit is open
>>> source--why not run our own deployment of it for D?
>>
>> I *really* dislike tree style interfaces. I find them incredibly hard to
>> navigate.
>>
>> Of course, I'm fairly unlikely to use the web interface much anyway
>> (whether mine or someone else - I prefer my mail client most the time),
>> but still, it would be nice if it didn't suck.
>>
>> Anyway, I did a little more work on my thing this morning:
>>
>> http://arsdnet.net/d-web-site/nntp/thread-index?newsgroup=digitalmars.D
>>
>> There's now [Tree] and [Linear] links on the right to view the whole
>> thread at once.
>>

>> Any ideas on how to improve that? I copied a few basic elements of
>> reddit style sites, but I'm thinking that view works best for very short
>> messages.
>
> I agree.  Subject, author and date should be shown in a tree view, but
> you should never display more than one message body at a time.  The
> average message on this forum is far too long for that.
>
> -Lars

I find it annoying to open each message in a thread manually.
I prefer a fully expanded thread with all bodies (or maybe partially expended by
subthreads or something when it's too big). This makes reading longer threads
much easier.
I haven't found a non-web-based news/mail client that does this yet, but going
to the next message with 'n' in Thunderbird certainly is less painful than
clicking the next message I want to read on a website.

Cheers,
- Daniel