dmd 1.067 and 2.052 release

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Feb 18 06:40:33 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 14:27 +0100, Gour wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:15:48 +0000
> Russel Winder <russel at russel.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I have not used Waf for a D project, just for C++ and LaTeX ones, so I
> > am not sure the state of play there.
>
> Do you use SCons for D projects?

Yes and no.  My "projects" that have D code are not a collection of
source code that gets built into artefacts and possibly installed -- the
ideal situation for Waf -- they are collections of programs each of
which is compiled and run independently -- a hard problem for Waf, but a
sweet spot for SCons.

> > Someone, definitely not me (*), will have to contact Thomas Nagy to
> > ask who to contact to get D tool development.
>
> Being busy with other things I put my waf-list subscription into
> web-only mode.
>
> > I try and avoid using CMake, so have no idea what the state of play
> > there is.
>
> OK.
>
> > (*) Thomas has banned me from the Waf Google group so I am not able to
> > monitor or contribute to the Waf eco-system.  Which is irritating as I
> > really quite like Waf.
>
> Really?
>
> What happened?

I think Thomas took exception to me doing a compare and contrast of
SCons and Waf and then contributing to the SCons project as well as the
Waf project.  I surmise that he thinks I am SCons advocate trying to
destroy Waf.  However as he won't communicate with me via any channel I
have tried, I don't actually know why he has banned me.  But being
banned from a Google group completely excludes you from any access.  I
had been getting email from the group though, but when I emailed Thomas
about something, he cut that off as well.  Basically it seems he wants
to exclude me from any form of interaction in the Waf community.  I keep
thinking of "why cut off your finger to spite your nose".

> I've noticed, when suggesting some improvements to Waf , via IRC, that
> he tend to be (sometimes) a little bit non-flexible, but
> banning... :-(

I've given up worrying about it.   All the clients I have moved to using
Waf just don't bother to contribute back the things they develop for
their Waf use as a form of existential protest.

Anyway this is really rather off-topic for this list!

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk