TDPL Amazon rank at 4-months high

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Feb 28 09:44:55 PST 2011

Hello,

I've been witnessing a recent increase in interest in TDPL, which can be
assumed to be a good proxy for interest in the language itself. The
trend has been bucking for about 45 days now and is reflected in higher
click-through rate on related ads and in a better Amazon sales rank.

Today TDPL's Amazon rank has reached 24,896 (currently at 29,285;
updated hourly), which is a 4-months high. (By high I actually mean
small because lower rank is better.) Last time a better rank was reached
was on October 29, 2010 (18,755).

Amazon dynamically assigns unique sale ranks to all of its books such
that 1 is the best seller and 8M is the least sold. Rank below 1,000
indicates a bestseller, below 10,000 means an excellent seller, and
below 100,000 means a good seller. (Amazon's ranking system handles
these tiers differently.) The sales rank of "good sellers" may fluctuate
a lot so it needs smoothing by a moving average (for example TDPL's rank
only on Feb 2 was 347,125).

For a rough comparison, here's the current sales rank for two comparable
books: Erlang - 129,001, Head First Java - 977. The latter book is the
best selling comparable book.

Andrei