Texas LinuxFest 2011 call for papers now open

Lutger Blijdestijn lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:15:30 PST 2011

Daniel Gibson wrote:

> So yes, the point that D may cause less trouble than Java/.net can be
> made, but you probably shouldn't claim that D doesn't infringe any
> patents, because you can't possibly know (nobody can, there are just too
> many software patents to check, even for big companies).

Perhaps I should elaborate a bit. mono is simply out of the question in a
large part of linux. Fedora for example, has D as a feature for its 14
release but doesn't support mono. Java is more complex, but if we take it
out of the picture it leaves (some of) linux with C / C++ on the one hand
and a lot of higher level dynamic languages on the other. In between are
some more 'exotic' languages such as haskell. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I see a
big void there where D can step in, mostly because of its set of features.
In the non-open-source world, Java and .NET are already taking care of much
of this void.