D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos,etc.) has moved to github

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Jan 25 13:47:42 PST 2011

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:08:13 +0200, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> Browsing through http://hginit.com/index.html, it looks like with Hg,
> everything works just as well as with SVN, the only difference being that
> you need to remember to specify which repository you're talking about
> whenever you give a number.

Not just what repository, but what clone of the repository! It's explained
in http://hginit.com/05.html. The number only makes sense for the clone of
the repository you're working on right now - basically you can't tell that
number to anyone, because it might mean something entirely different for
them.

> Obviously I'm not saying "DMD should have gone Hg", I'm just kinda
> shocked
> by how horrid Git's approach is for referring to changesets. (Personally,
> that alone would be enough to get me to use Hg instead of Git for my own
> projects. Heck, I've become pretty much sold on the idea of DVCS, but
> because of this I think I'd actually sooner use SVN for a new project
> than
> Git.)

I think you need to take some time and think about it. It's impossible to
use a global incrementing revision number with any DVCS! In fact, I dare
to think that Hg having revision numbers is a stupid mistake that tries to
make SVN users comfy, but will only lead to confusion and angst when
people try to refer to revisions by their "number".

> Additionally, Hg's approach provides a trivial way to disambiguate hash
> collisions. I know that Git book brushes it off as "very rare", but it's
> not
> as if nobody's ever going to run into it.

Um, what method is that? Also, saying that SHA-1 hash collisions are "very
rare" is a bit of an understatement.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net