DVM - D Version Manager

Lutger Blijdestijn lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:17:04 PST 2011

Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> On 2011-01-25 20:33, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
>> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>> Platforms: currently only Posix
>>>
>> Nitpick: it is more restricted than that. Platform is currently
>> only posix *with bash shell*. A lot of people use other shells,
>> including non-Bourne shells (most frequent are zsh, ksh and tcsh).
>>
>> Jerome
>
> Yeah, I guess you're right, didn't think there were a lot people who
> used other shells. Since I almost know nothing about shell scripting and
> even less about non-bourne shells, will it be possible to port to other
> shells? How much do they differ?

I know it's possible to hit some pretty common subset that works in most
shells, though I don't have any experience. There is a posix specification
for shells, bash is supposed to follow that if ran as sh:

http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-POSIX-Mode.html

There are entire books an the subject, this is a nice small article about
the common stuff: http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/34658