D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos,etc.) has moved to github

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Wed Jan 26 04:59:32 PST 2011

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 06:33:35 +0200, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> I think this is a fallacy. It only applies if you
> (1) *completely disallow* any centralisation -- which I don't think ever
> happens in practice!

What about the Linux kernel? There's Linus's git repo, and lots of repos
maintained by others (e.g. Linux distros). The other distros are not a
superset of Linus's repo, they have their own branches with various
project-specific patches and backports. Git was written for this
specifically.

> and (2) demand that cloning a repository be an entirely read-only
> operation (so that the repository doesn't know how many times it has
> been cloned)
> and (3) demand that the revision numbers behave exactly as they do in
> svn.

Then you're suggesting that the commit identifiers basically contain the
clone history?

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net