DVM - D Version Manager

Brad brad.lanam.comp_nospam at nospam_gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:27:07 PST 2011

On 2011-01-26, Jesse Phillips <jessekphillips+D at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:
>
>> On my ubuntu system too -- to my surprise ;)
>
> It is a new thing they did, about a release or two ago. The reason
> was because /bin/sh pointed to bash and _did not_ adhere to the sh
> standard.

It was a system speed enhancement.
Much of the bootup speed gain was due to switching to dash.
bash is slow.

bash adhere's to sh standards is just fine except that it won't flag
extensions, so you can still end up with bashisms in your shell script.
I've never had any issues w/bash.

I write shell scripts that run in bash2, bash3, bash4, ash, dash, ksh88,
ksh93, mksh, SunOS sh, Tru64 sh, AIX sh, HP-UX sh.