D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:33:06 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
> "Bill Baxter" <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.977.1296083661.4748.digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com...
>>
>>Mercurial gives every revision two numbers:
>>
>>Is that the kind of thing you're wanting?
>>

> Yea, and that's pretty much the original thing I was saying: It's nice that
> Hg seems to have it, but Git doesn't appear to be particularly interested in
> it.

I think it's very handy for all the reasons you said.  I don't think
I've every had to use a big hex string when dealing with mercurial.
Maybe once or twice max.  Most of the stuff you do with repo history
as an individual developer is all about the local copy of the tree on
your system.  Globally unique identifiers aren't needed for that.  It
looks like Bzr does something similar.  Not sure why Git hasn't gotten
this particular nicety.

--bb