D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Sat Jan 29 04:13:45 PST 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 11:18 +0100, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
[ . . . ]
> 	In Mercurial (and AFAIK Git), branches and repositories are
> completely different concepts. A repository is a folder on your hard
> drive. A branch is a history line inside a repository so it's not

Definitely, this is not at issue.  The way Git and Mercurial store
information about branches and tags within a repository is very
different.  This leads to a few observable differences in the way
branches and commits behave, but in the main there is similarity not
difference.  Caveat Git's index of course.

> that different from Bazaar. The only difference I see is that Bazaar
> allows you to clone a single branch (i.e to create a repository that
> will only contain that single branch) whereas a clone of a Mercurial
> repository will always contain all the branches that the parent had
> (don't know about Git).

This is not quite the right view of Bazaar.  In Bazaar, the branch is
the only thing that exists: each branch is a standalone entity that may
or may not have a working tree.  Bazaar also has shared repositories
which can act as containers of branches, allowing related branches to
share common information thereby saving resources.  This is a very, very
different concept of repository compared to Mercurial or Git.  In Bazaar
you do not branch repositories, you branch branches -- which may (or may
not) be stored in repositories.  As you say with Git and Mercurial you
clone repositories.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk