Programming Windows D Examples are now Online!

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Fri Jul 8 13:02:39 PDT 2011

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 15:39:22 -0400, Johannes Pfau <spam at example.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>>> What's the license on the bindings?
>>
>> Have not thought about that yet, but I think I'll use the boost
>> license. (I'm not sure if that's possible, as
>> cairo is LGPL, maybe I'll have to release the binding part at least
>> as LGPL, as that's based on the cairo headers? Stupid licensing
>> stuff... )
>>

>I'm not a lawyer, but I think LGPL just covers the library code, not
>the bindings, as long as the link is dynamic.  In other words, LGPL
>specifically allows dynamically linking with any license, as long as
>the library remains LGPL.
>
>For reference, the C standard library (which phobos uses extensively)
>is LGPL on Linux (glibc).
>
>-Steve

True, but in this case the bindings were translated from the cairo c
headers. I wasn't sure if the bindings could be considered a derivate
work. But looking at the LGPL license:
------------------------
  3. Object Code Incorporating Material from Library Header Files.

  The object code form of an Application may incorporate material from
a header file that is part of the Library.  You may convey such object
code under terms of your choice, provided that, if the incorporated
material is not limited to numerical parameters, data structure
layouts and accessors, or small macros, inline functions and templates
(ten or fewer lines in length), you do both of the following:

   a) Give prominent notice with each copy of the object code that the
   Library is used in it and that the Library and its use are
   covered by this License.

   b) Accompany the object code with a copy of the GNU GPL and this
   license document.
Seems like (simple) header files can be used without restrictions.
Looking at other cairo bindings luacairo is public domain, so I think
I'll just release the everything under the boost license.

--
Johannes Pfau