Programming Windows D Examples are now Online!

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Sat Jul 9 11:00:29 PDT 2011

Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>I'll see about contributing to your project in some way. I'm
>interested in how Cairo's new opengl backend operates, animation works
>somewhat ok with a win32 backend but it seems to quickly eat up
>performance (that could be my mistake though). I'll give a shot at
>using the cairo opengl backend via Derelict.

I'm not sure if cairo's win32 backend uses some kind of
acceleration? http://cairographics.org/threaded_animation_with_cairo/
talks about performance & animations, it's quite gtk specific, but
maybe there's some useful information in there.

>Also, the Cairo team recommends using pangocairo over Cairo's native
>text rendering API functions for anything more complicated than simple
>text rendering. The Pango dev and bin package from
>http://www.gtk.org/download/index.php contains the pangocairo.h header
>file which imports cairo.h, but pango also has a ton of other headers
>so this might well be out of the scope of your project. I haven't
>tried used pango's text rendering yet.

I had a short look at pango some time ago as I also heard that it's the
best way to do text rendering. Writing bindings for pango shouldn't be
too difficult, but it's quite some work. All headers together are
~4800 lines of code. Pango also uses glib, so some glib bindings will
also be needed. I think I'll finish the cairo wrapper first and then I
might have a look at pango.

--
Johannes Pfau