dmd 1.069 and 2.054 release

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Jul 11 16:09:47 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-11 17:26:15 -0400, Andrew Wiley <wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com> said:

> To paraphrase your description, there's something that's about to break in
> your code, but it's not broken yet, so if you drop -w (or switch to -wi),
> you can still build it. If we're taking the approach that warnings break
> code when -w is used, I see scheduled deprecations falling into a very
> similar category.

To paraphrase your paraphrase, there's something that's about to break
in your code, but it's not broken yet so if you add -d you can still
build it... I'm simply side-stepping that discussion about
implementation to illustrate that you just described the purpose of the
'deprecated' keyword.

Personally, I think adding warnings or even messages for each and every
scheduled-for-deprecation function is too much. Just adding it to the
documentation and adding a note in the changelog should be enough.
Then, one day, it'll be deprecated for real and you'll get an error
unless you use -d.

I think one deprecation level is enough. The scheduled for deprecation
step is still useful so that early adopters can try the new way to do
things and report problems. Once it's been stable and adopted by some
people you can ask for mass adoption by adding a deprecation message.
But nagging users when they're using something that is scheduled for
deprecation is pretty much the same as having the feature deprecated
immediately in my view.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com