dmd 1.069 and 2.054 release

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Jul 12 15:03:51 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-12 16:52:10 -0400, Leandro Lucarella <luca at llucax.com.ar> said:

> This is what deprecated is for! Removing stuff breaks code, not
> deprecating stuff! Deprecated really is "scheduled for removal", so
> "scheduled for deprecation" is "scheduled for scheduled for removal", it
> makes no sense. Fix the compiler!

Actually it sometime makes sense that you'd schedule something to be
later scheduled for removal. If there is no replacement for a certain
feature, making it deprecated is just a nuisance since the compiler
will complain about the problem but you have no alternative yet.

Now, I think the argument for scheduling things for deprecation is just
an extreme of that: deprecating things is a nuisance because it breaks
code, so we'll schedule them to be deprecated later. But then we add a
warning for those things scheduled for deprecation because we don't
want people to use them, and "scheduled for deprecation" has just
become a synonym for "deprecated but not yet breaking your code".
Fixing deprecated to not break code by default is a better option, I
think.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com