dmd 1.069 and 2.054 release

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 15:09:13 PDT 2011

Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Deprecating something is still going to break code

Breaking with deprecated is an entirely different kind of breakage
than removing something.

deprecated means simply "please don't use this specific thing". You
can tell it "shut up I know better than you" and be on your way.

It's in your face enough that you can change it right there and then
if you want to, but it's easy enough to shut it up too.

Here's my preference list for changes:

Top preference: don't change stuff.

Next: use the deprecated attribute

Next: versioned scheduled to be deprecated messages. I don't like
being spammed every time I compile.

Next: scheduled to be deprecated messages as they are now

Last: removing it entirely. (this should be very, very rare
especially if we want to be called stable. Nothing has pissed me
off more with the last few releases than Phobos losing
functionality.)