DMD/Objective-C Alpha 1

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Jun 2 05:54:15 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-02 07:49:25 -0400, Robert Clipsham <robert at octarineparrot.com> said:

> This is pretty cool! I'd test it, but D for XCode doesn't seem to play
> well with XCode 4, and my XCode 3 installation appears to have
> disappeared since I installed 4. Will the complete OS X toolchain work
> with this eventually? (Interface builder, instruments etc)

Current state the OSX toolchain:

- Problems getting gdb recognize debug symbols. Perhaps this can be
alleviated by replacing gdb with a fresh GNU version instead of
Apple's... I haven't tested. Ideally, DMD would generate symbols that
Apple's gdb understands.

- Half-baked Xcode 4 support in D for Xcode. You can rely on Xcode 3 in
the meanwhile. Given the Xcode plugin API is private and undocumented,
it's not as trivial as it should be.

- It might be nice to add a D parser to Interface Builder so it
automatically recognize outlets and actions in D files that have
Objective-C objects (thanks to D/Objective-C). I'd guess this is a
private API too, but I haven't verified. Not having that is just an
inconvenience however, since you can always add them manually in the IB
file too.

- I don't think you need to do anything for Instruments (and the
underlying dtrace) to work with D code... except perhaps make debug
symbols work so stack traces include line numbers. Perhaps one would
want to create a custom instrument to observe the GC in druntime.

I don't have much time to work on D for Xcode at the moment, mostly
because I'm putting my spare time into developing D/Objective-C these
days. But I'd be glad to accept pull requests for D for Xcode.
<https://github.com/michelf/d-for-xcode>

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com