Unofficial DVM Windows Beta

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Jun 4 14:12:30 PDT 2011

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:ise6ef$1pbt$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
> news:isdk9m$t7p$2 at digitalmars.com...
>>> If I run:
>>> and close and start a new command shell, 2.053 will still be used.
>>> What exactly is the use case for "dvm --default use"?
>>>

> Hmm, I'll have to look into it. That's the last thing I added, and it was
> really late and I really should have been asleep ;) Maybe I managed to
> screw it up...
>
> Can you try one thing for me though? In the new shell, when it's not using
> the default it's supposed to be using, what do you get when you do "echo
> %DVM%"?
>
> It *should* have two things (separated by semicolon):
> %APPDATA%\dvm\compilers\dmd-{default dmd version}\bin
> %APPDATA%\dvm\bin
>
> (%APPDATA% will actually be expanded, I only wrote it there for brevity.)

Something I just thought of: When you start a new command prompt, Windows
puts the system PATH ahead of the user's PATH. DVM currently only installs
things for the local user (that's the way it currently does it on Linux,
too). So if you already have 2.053 in your *system* path, then Windows will
find and use that before it ever gets to the path DVM installs.

Could you see if that's maybe what's happening for you?

I'll have to think about how to handle that situation. Not sure if I should
just tell the user about it, or try to find/remove dmd from the system path
(maybe with prompting?), etc...